History

  1. The Past
  2. The Present
  3. The Future

Ephrata Borough is located in the northeastern section of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The borough is the outgrowth of the famed religious community, the Cloister, founded in the early 1700s by Conrad Beissel. When the Cloister community declined in the early 1800s, the village grew as a regional center of commerce. During this time of growth, two resort hotels were built, the Mountain Springs and the Mount Vernon House. The village also became known as a key stop for the Reading and Columbia Railroads.

The petition for a charter to incorporate Ephrata into a borough was presented on April 20, 1891. Following many debates, this rapidly growing village was finally incorporated on August 22, 1891. The population at the time was about 2,200 people. Six newly elected councilmen organized this new enterprise called Ephrata Borough with a council / mayor form of government.